lang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index  
  FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Usergroups •  Join! (free)  •  Private Messages •  Log in

Using water to steam during cook.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaun2que

Post Post subject: Using water to steam during cook.  Reply with quote

Has anyone ever closed off there drain valve and filled it with water to cook? Bad Idea?..
Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 am 
Eddie Z

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bad idea. That plate is a lot hotter than the cooker air temp. You will boil it off and if you add more water to it you risk the chance of cracking it from thermal shock.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:21 pm 
Wood River BBQ Team

Post Post subject: Re: Using water to steam during cook. Reply with quote

shaun2que wrote:
Has anyone ever closed off there drain valve and filled it with water to cook? Bad Idea?..

A pan of water is easier to use and re fill, if necessary. I use one on most cooks --- smoke loves a moist surface and there are other advantages as well.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm 
animal

If you need a water pan on a Lang you have another problem. Recipe or temps.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:22 am 
shaun2que

Ok thanks guy's.. I'll scratch that idea..
Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 am 
Wood River BBQ Team

animal wrote:
If you need a water pan on a Lang you have another problem. Recipe or temps.

Shaunque: Before you scrap the idea, consider the following.

Here's why a water pan works for any smoker, including and especially a Lang. It has nothing to do with a recipe but does have to do with temperature. Water adds humidity to the cook chamber and keeps the meat from drying out.  If you're cooking between 225* to 250* the water in the pan absorbs heat because water never rises above 212* and that helps to keep the temperature down. Water helps  stabilize the temperature in your cooker and minimiize fluctuations because water temp takes longer to rise and fall than the air temp in the cook chamber.

Here's the most important contribution a water pan makes and why competition guys,  especially those using a WSM wouldn't be without a water pan. Water vapor mixes with combustion gases and will improve the flavor of the meat because the water vapor condenses  on the meat and makes it "sticky"  which allows more smoke to adhere -- the sodium nitrate in the smoke helps create the smoke ring. Smoke loves moisture. The humidity keeps the meat moister and the moist surface evaporates and cools the meat which allows more time for the connective tissue and the fat to melt and this also helps with the development of the smoke ring.

If I wanted to pump more moisture into the cook chamber I could put lava rocks in the water pan. The rocks are very porous and act like sponges and the large surface area pumps more moisture into the cook chamber. The one time I tried that method fat dripped on them and it didn't work.

I didn't make this stuff up. I first learned about the use of a water pan by watching the WSM guys and talking to comp guys who are using water pans. Then I found a 4 page article on www.amazingribs.com "How to use drip pans and water pans". Take a look at that article and see what you think.

Obviously, the use of a water pan is optional. Give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, don't use it anymore. Before a mate scraps an idea based on a offhand comment, with no back up, it's important to know why something works or doesn't work.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:53 pm 
animal

A Lang is not a WSM, you must go to competitions you call yourself a BBQ team, I do attend a few a year Wink and have not seen one with soup cans or what ever stuffed into the exhaust to even out temps, maybe you should get a WSM and give them advice. Want a link to the forum here it is http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ I am pretty sure Ben knows what he is doing. He has been at it a long time.
Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:57 pm 
Wood River BBQ Team

animal wrote:
A Lang is not a WSM, you must go to competitions you call yourself a BBQ team, I do attend a few a year Wink and have not seen one with soup cans or what ever stuffed into the exhaust to even out temps, maybe you should get a WSM and give them advice. Want a link to the forum here it ishttp://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ I am pretty sure Ben knows what he is doing. He has been at it a long time.

The subject is "using water to steam during a cook". It has nothing to do with a exhaust extension. You've used that a couple of time. It's weak and you need to come up with something new. It also has nothing to do with "Ben knowing what he's doing". It has nothing to do with me attending competitive events.

Try to stick to the topic instead of acting like an jerk. Back up your stupid one sentence response - if a person uses a water pan it's a recipe or temp problem.

The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas -- folks can accept them or not. You've added nothing to the topic but I do enjoy messing with you -- keep it up!!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:53 am 
animal

The purpose of this forum is Lang, and I am starting to think you don't own one. You are helping no one with most of your "advice" on modifications, I can only think of one which involves drilling a hole for temp probes so they are not crushed by the door.We all know Meathead and his forum and it is great. A Lang is great on it own with no modifications once you know how to use it. maybe you should learn how to and recycle the cans and lean how to prep food and cook on your pit instead of telling others how to do it
Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 am 
Wood River BBQ Team

animal wrote:
The purpose of this forum is Lang, and I am starting to think you don't own one. You are helping no one with most of your "advice" on modifications, I can only think of one which involves drilling a hole for temp probes so they are not crushed by the door.We all know Meathead and his forum and it is great. A Lang is great on it own with no modifications once you know how to use it. maybe you should learn how to and recycle the cans and lean how to prep food and cook on your pit instead of telling others how to do it

This person is impossible -- you can't get him to answer a simple question and support his original statement. He digresses with silly, wild assumptions that he dreams up, probably in his dark basemenT, which have no basis and that he can't support.

I don't like to make assumptions that I can't support but I assumed the handle "animal "was probably masculine but now I'm not sure -- the messages this person writes sound like they're coming from a whiney little girl.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:12 pm 
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum