lang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index  
  FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Usergroups •  Join! (free)  •  Private Messages •  Log in

Whole Hog on Lang Smoker
Page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Post subject:

Posted:
MarkErickson

Post Post subject: Whole Hog on Lang Smoker  Reply with quote

I want to try the whole hog.  I have a 2nd generation Lang 84.  Any tips or help would be great.

Mark
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:41 pm
randywallace

Post Post subject: whole hog Reply with quote

Someone else recently asked my about a whole hog.  Here is what I did with the hog I posted pics of:

1.  Let the hog warm up while I was starting my fire.  Injected him around the larger cuts with apple juice and vinegar mix.  Rub down the inside with your favorite rub.  Dont worry about rubbing the outside of the pig because the rub cant penetrate the fat.

2.  Started my fire with 2 large bags of lump charcoal in a few charcoal chimnies.

3.  Brought the Lang up to 350 for the cleaning process (spray bottle of water sprayed all over the inside of the cooker to steam clean it).

4.  Shut the grill back down and brought the temp back up to 325.

5.  Put the pig in and opened up the air to full throttle.

6.  Let the temp get back up to 275 and and shut the air down.  Cooked him at that temp until done (I like an internal temp at the ham of somewhere around 195).

I basted him along with way with the same stuff I used to inject him with.  When the internal temp is right, open up the cooker and get him out on a table to let him rest.

After about 20 minutes of rest time, I took a pair of Fryer gloves and shredded every bit of the meat by hand and placed it in disposable aluminum pans.  

Once in the pans, how you serve it is a matter of personal preference.  I love a Carolina style vinegar sauce so I took some of the meat added a little sauce, wrapped it in aluminum foil and let it cook for about 20 more minutes.  There were plenty of folks that just ate it as I was stripping it though and they didn't have any complaints!

The internal thermometer makes it very hard to mess up provided you can keep a constant temp on your Lang.  I bought mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond for $30.  

After the lump charcoal, I used large pieces of seasoned oak, plum and pecan.  The bigger the better as they cook slow and you dont have to open the firebox often.

Make sure you put a 5 gallon bucket under the ball valve of the Lang to catch the drippings.  There is a heck of a lot of grease in a pig.

Total cook time from the moment the pig went in until I pulled him off was in line with what everyone uses as a rule of thumb....1 hour per 10 pounds at 275.  One thing that will greatly increase your cook time is opening the cooker of course.  I basted mine at the halves meaning for a 8 hour cook, you would baste at 4 hours, then at 6 hours, and again at 7 hours.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Morgan

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much the way I go Randy....the last few I have cooked have been wild ones...so they were cooked without the hide....I rubbed those down good with lard though....
Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 am
MarkErickson

Randy - Thanks for your tips.    A few more questions?      
How big of a pig  do you normally do?  I was thinking about getting one that has a hanging weight of 90-100lbs.

Do you butterfly the pig and lay it open or more put it in the laying down resting position?

Do you ever have to turn it head to tail and back during the cooking process?

Thanks
Mark
Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm
randywallace

MarkErickson wrote:
Randy - Thanks for your tips. A few more questions?
How big of a pig do you normally do? I was thinking about getting one that has a hanging weight of 90-100lbs.

Do you butterfly the pig and lay it open or more put it in the laying down resting position?

Do you ever have to turn it head to tail and back during the cooking process?

Thanks
Mark

About 100 pounds dressed is good on the 84.  I didn't butterfly the pig and put him on there just like he was laying on his belly with the head facing the firebox.  Never moved him a bit from the moment he went on till the moment I pulled him off.  Just make sure to keep the doors shut and the heat constant.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm
FullDrawBBQ

Great post..........thanks for taking the time to post this info.   I have a 60D, and am going to try the whole hog next weekend.   For the 60 is about a 60-70 pound pig as big as I can go?   Thanks!

Mike
Frisco, TX
Lang 60D
Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:12 pm
MRTONYSBBQ

FullDrawBBQ wrote:
Great post..........thanks for taking the time to post this info. I have a 60D, and am going to try the whole hog next weekend. For the 60 is about a 60-70 pound pig as big as I can go? Thanks!

Mike
Frisco, TX
Lang 60D

The website says you can get a 100 pounder in there!
It may be some work - but do-able!
I have a 84 Deluxe, I managed to get a 141 pounder in it!! No way was it coming out in 1 piece for a real pretty display cuz it was soooo tender 15 hours later, and I had to take his back feet off.....I cut it in half  behind the ribs to get it out and the party went on!!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 am
aussie84

man, that's beautifull.

i plan to do a full hog porchetta real soon.......just gotta fine tune my boning skills.

just thinking, if you used chicken wire under the porker, would it not make it easier to take it out, at the end of the cook..??..  i am going for the WOW with this one and my biggest concern is getting the pig out of there.

kevin

84 deluxe warmer,
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 pm
AzJohnnyC

When are you going to get to that whole hog, Kevin?  I thought you were going first.
Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:47 pm
aussie84

damn you Johnny,

i'm talking to some blokes about bamby, then i will step up and do the hawg dance.  but, but.  i get bonus points for havin' a crack first.  and it will be posted on the other forum as well..... Twisted Evil

kevin

84 deluxe warmer,
Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:27 am
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum