lang.myfreeforum.org Forum Index  
  FAQ •  Search •  Memberlist •  Usergroups •  Join! (free)  •  Private Messages •  Log in

Hickory Wood
Page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Post subject:

Posted:
Smokin Stevie

Post Post subject: Hickory Wood  Reply with quote

First time using Hickory wood. Smokin a butt and 3 racks of BB's. It smells so good outside. I've always used cherry and pecan. This is the first cook ever with hickory, can't wait to taste the results. Only can have a bite of each as it's for a baby shower party. Don't think they will miss a couple bones and a sandwich off the butt. Anyone smokin with hickory can you give me an idea of what I'm in for ?

Thanks
Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 pm
workoutchamp

Post Post subject: Reply with quote

you're in for the best flavor food in the world.

I know a lot of guys who use apple and pecan - they love it.  I have not wavered off of hickory - I just love it so much.

a ton of guys use Oak - I am just ok with it.  I use it after I foil.  When the meat is exposed, I use hickory.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:16 am
Smokin Stevie

Post Post subject: Runnin too HOT ! Reply with quote

Hickory wood is burnin too hot. I have been tryin to keep temp @ 225 but with this hickory pit wants to run @ 275 to 300. Any idea how to keep temp where I want it ? I've closed the vents down but then the fire want to smolter out. Any advice be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 am
workoutchamp

Stevie,

I am not aware that hickory burns hotter than other woods.  longer yes, hotter, not sure about that.

I don't fool with the top vent too much, just the bottoms - try the top one - turn it to 45 degree angel and see how that works.

Also, I will tell you from decades of burning wood - the degree of seasoning the wood is makes a huge difference too.

Take out the variables one by one and get where you need to be.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:57 am
Bean

Hickory does burn hotter than other woods.  After hickory oak burns really hot as well, fruit woods not nearly as hot as oak and hickory. I would not close off the top damper as it will have a tendency to trap stale smoke in the cooking chamber, not giving the food a very good taste.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:03 am
TimLackey

I have used red oak from Wisconsin, hickory from Wisconsin, post oak from Central Texas and mesquite from South Texas. From what i have discovered, it makes a difference on how you use the bottom vents and the damper on the stack. I normally run with the damper at about 45 degrees and if the wind is up the lower vents almost closed. If there is no wind I have had to have the lower vents all the way open and control the flow with the damper.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:47 pm
Zuter

I know the judges go on about meat being too heavily smoked, but I'm from rural Alabama and cook a lot for other people from the country like me and I use only scaly bark hickory. Nobody has ever said it was too smoky...I did, however, get that comment a few times when I used a tight bark hickory/oak mixture. When mine is fully loaded, I'll put them in with just a simple brown sugar based rub and let them smoke for about 18-20 hours at 225ish...then I pull them off and wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil (if I'm leaving them on the cooker with a dying fire) or cellophane (if I'm putting them in coolers to rest when I carry them to town to sell). Either way works great to turn what would normally be a tough, hard to chew bark into very tender eating.

I cook on a Lang 84 and use hickory nuts with lump in my Primo ceramic.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:45 pm
Catfish

Hickory can give an oversmoked problem.  I usually use a mixture of hickory and blackjack oak.  Two blackjack splits for every one hickory.  Talk about a great BBQ smoke smell in the air. Very Happy

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:39 pm
bbqdaddy

It really depends what your cooking,for butts we like to use Hickory and pecan its available in Nc,and for pork ribs we like to use apple and cherry ,these really accent the meat flovor instead of covering up, .
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:39 am
Grande

I have always liked to use Sugar Maple for my Pork Products, Cherry for Brisket & either Apple or Pecan for Chicken.

The maple adds a smokey sweetness that just fits well with the pork.

Holy Smokes BBQ Team
One Faithful UDS
Hopefully a Lang 60D forthcoming
Post Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum